FIFA vice-president and council member Sandor Csanyi of Hungary has withdrawn his support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino, saying the “unexpected dismissal” of senior official Kevin Lamour was the final straw.
In a letter sent to Infantino on Tuesday and seen by AFP on Wednesday, Csanyi said a series of controversial decisions had caused him to lose confidence in the FIFA president.
“My conviction that you are capable of continuing to lead FIFA successfully and effectively in accordance with the shared values that previously formed the basis of our cooperation has been undermined,” Csanyi said.
The Hungarian football official, who is also a billionaire businessman and banker, cited several concerns surrounding this year’s World Cup, including information that Infantino had been working on plans to outsource FIFA competitions to external parties.
“The final straw was the unexpected dismissal of Kevin Lamour,” Csanyi wrote, saying the decision pointed to “serious shortcomings in professional judgement, ethical standards and leadership”.
Lamour, a Frenchman who served as FIFA’s chief operating officer, had come under pressure after breaking ranks with senior FIFA directors and issuing a scathing statement criticising Infantino over his now-abandoned plan to allow private investment in World Cups.
Csanyi said the developments had undermined his belief that Infantino could continue to lead FIFA effectively and in line with the values that had previously guided their cooperation.
The development came a day after UEFA vice-president Laura McAllister criticised FIFA over Lamour’s dismissal, saying it sent a “deeply troubling message to all of us seeking change”.

Post a Comment