Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Ghana court remands Nigerian man over alleged plot to rob three Accra banks

Ghana court remands Nigerian man over alleged plot to rob three Accra banks

A Circuit Court in Ghana has remanded Nigerian national Okechukwu Augustine over his alleged involvement in a foiled plot to rob three banks in the Labone area of Accra.

Augustine was remanded on Monday and is expected to appear before the court again on Wednesday as investigations continue.

The Ghana Police Service said Augustine was arrested last Thursday after officers allegedly foiled a planned attack targeting branches of GCB Bank, Ecobank and Zenith Bank in Labone.

According to a statement posted by the police on X, officers received intelligence at about 10:45am on August 13 that a gang was preparing to attack the banks.

A police team was subsequently deployed to the area, where suspected members of the gang were allegedly seen in two vehicles parked close to the banks.

The police said one of the vehicles sped away after its occupants spotted the officers, leading to a chase during which Augustine was arrested while another occupant escaped.

The occupants of the second vehicle also allegedly attempted to flee, resulting in a shoot-out with the police.

“The Police engaged them in a shoot-out, resulting in the death of two suspects,” the statement said.

Police said they recovered two vehicles — a Toyota Highlander with registration number GS-1434-18 and a Hyundai Tucson with registration number GS-7915-17 — as well as a blow pistol.

The two deceased suspects were reportedly taken to a morgue for preservation, identification and autopsy, while Augustine remained in police custody to assist with the investigation.

However, the police account was later challenged by GCB Bank, which denied that its Labone branch had been targeted in a robbery or attempted robbery.

In a statement shared on X, the bank said no robbery incident occurred at the branch or anywhere on its premises.

“GCB Bank wishes to clarify that no robbery or attempted robbery took place at our Labone Branch or on the Bank’s premises,” the bank said.

The bank added that the branch was never breached and that no customers, staff, funds or property were affected by the incident.

“The Labone Branch remains secure, and customers can continue to conduct their banking transactions with confidence,” GCB Bank said.

The case is expected to come up again on Wednesday as Ghanaian authorities continue investigations into the alleged robbery plot and the circumstances surrounding the police operation.



Post a Comment

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search